Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I am an instructor, author, voice actor, motivational speaker, and international businessperson who places betterment ahead of every other initiative. While the majority of my life is spent contemplating about lexicons, it is my firm belief that actions speak louder than words. My mission in life is simple: to make a difference by being different.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Resource vs. Resourcefulness



Pondering regarding the lives of successful individuals is both inspiring and surprising all at the same time. As a counselor and coach, I have always been astonished by the irony when it comes to achieving greatness among human beings. 

Most of the people who seek my help do so as a result of the imminent nuisance in their lives, but once I dig deeper I recognize that the majority of these persons who find themselves lost actually come from relatively wealthy and affluent families where they had everything they could possibly demand to triumph in life. Expensive gifts, attention, best schools, all means of support, yet you see that many of them are in fact dissatisfied with their lives and continue their existence without much sense of purpose. 

On the other hand, you come across folks who have been through all sorts of crises, kids who did not have enough money to buy food while they were at school, people who have been abused in every conceivable realm growing up, and despite experiencing the type of things that make someone else cry; interestingly enough, very often these people are the ones who make the most out of their lives. 

Thus, the question lingers: What makes the difference between the lives of those who come from nothing and manage to achieve everything, and the people who start their lives amidst all the feasible assets and end up dispirited and hopeless? 

The most outstanding answer to this question was given by Tony Robbins in his historic presentation at TED few years back. He declared that what we truly need in order to thrive and flourish is not resource, but rather resourcefulness. The distinction between these two are quite transparent, while resource refers to the material advantages such as money, time, and social status, resourcefulness is all about using whatever you have in your possession so as to solve difficult problems; creativity, passion, goal, love, determination, conscientiousness, motivation , and most importantly the ability to dream are what constitute the foundation of resourcefulness. 

In the following speech, the legendary Tony Robbins clarifies what truly makes the difference in the quality of people’s lives: 

8 comments:

Aigle said...

A great article and a great speech thanks for sharing it with us Dan. I totally agree with you on this matter. I've also come to my own conclusions and I don't know if they are totally correct but I think they are true to some extent. It's that people who have faced different problems and diffcult situations in their past have actually learned the art of solving their problems in the best possible way and also these difficult situations have made them creative. What I'm trying say is that I think these people have learned how to use their brain in a way that benefits them the most. They seek and find different opportunities 24/7 and of course they are successful. Another thing is the attitude of gratitude. These people are thankful for the things they now have and cherish them while others don't. I've seen that many times. Those who are trully thankful have a wonderful life while those who are not are always miserable. It always wokrs specially for me :)

Anonymous said...

Your point is valueble for me. Thanks!

My blog:
dsl anbieter klick hier

Daniel Mulligan said...

@ Aigle: my life has changed the moment I began looking at my problems as opportunities. It is like life throws one exciting challenge after another just to make my life more meaningful. I am certain that you are also a man of integrity and discipline and its obvious from your flawless writing. Keep getting more successful :)

@Der anonyme: Danke für das Verlassen Ihren Kommentar zu meinem Weblog, fand ich Ihr Weblog ganz nett.

Aigle said...

Thanks Dan :) I too, wish you best of the best and I'm proud of having a friend like you.

Anonymous said...

dear teacher hi. do you remember your friende al? he has come back. he teaches at iranmehr in sundays. i saw him last week and he want to see you.

Anonymous said...

dear teacher hi. do you remember your friende al? he has come back. he teaches at iranmehr in sundays. i saw him last week and he want to see you.

Anonymous said...

dear teacher hi. do you remember your friende al? he has come back. he teaches at iranmehr in sundays. i saw him last week and he want to see you.

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,
Intresting suject........but as I've seen during my life,I reach to another conclusion.In my opinion this case that a person have good or bad family is not the main reason for success.the more important things are:to be intellectual,patient,brave,finding out how to use the suitable situations.There are many people who have been grown up in functional and rich family and they were hardworking and successful.As I experience nothing can replace hardworking.People who used to nag nothing can make them satisfy.If they are rich nothing can make them happy because they say that we have every thing.those who are poor r unhappy because they have nothing.Look at John D.Rockefeller's children.Thy wer frm rich family.Weren't they successful?