Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I am an instructor, author, voice actor, motivational speaker, and international businessperson who places betterment ahead of every other initiative. While the majority of my life is spent contemplating about lexicons, it is my firm belief that actions speak louder than words. My mission in life is simple: to make a difference by being different.

Friday, June 3, 2011

On TV, the internet, and true leadership!


The other day in my class, I gave a lecture regarding the various benefits that could be attained by reducing the amount of time spent on watching TV. I have recently come to believe that subtle dependence upon television can promote passivity and lack of creativity, and due to its convenience can easily end up not only consuming a great portion of our time, but also contributing to less mental and physical activities.

It has been four years that I have not watched TV! What?!! How is that even remotely possible?!!! Now you might instantly begin to imagine an eccentric geek with no knowledge of what is happening around the world, but quite frankly, I feel more mindful of the occurrences across the globe than ever. How? Pretty simple, for me the internet has become the sole source of gathering all the information that I need, do you need to watch NBC’s Meet the Press? Just log on to MSNBC’s website and watch the latest episode, better yet download the audio podcast and listen to it while driving to work; you want to watch the trailer of the latest box office hit? Just head over to Youtube and watch it in HD, feeling trendy? How about checking out the latest fashions on various designated websites?          

I even went as far as providing an oath for the class:


“Hi, my name is Daniel” I said as I raised my right hand “and I hereby declare that, thanks to the internet, I have been TV-free for four years”. Suddenly one of my students cracked a joke by saying that “the guy is clean”. 

I then quoted Steve Jobs saying that “You watch television to turn your brain off, and work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on”.

Following a hot debate, I mentioned that when my own children are born "I will give them an iPad, iPhone, and an Apple computer, but would not purchase a TV for my house".  Even though my beliefs regarding TV make complete sense to me, I was quite insensible to think that everyone should be in agreement with me.  I was then told by my students that true open-mindedness allows one to let their children choose for themselves. In reality, if my children would prefer to spend their entire days in front of TV then that is their choice, but sooner or later, it is likely that such lifestyle leads to difficulties and that is when they will come to me looking for suggestion.

When the students are ready the teacher will show up. Hence, if they are to follow my footsteps they should first want it internally. What I consider to be good and intellectual often could seem no more than a gibberish coming from an up-tight wacko. Well I certainly wish not to be dubbed as a Wacko of course! 




LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NOT FORCE

3 comments:

Aigle said...

So far you're the only person I've found beside myself that believes in TV being useless. Good job keep going!

Daniel Mulligan said...

Dear Aigle, I strongly believe in the law of 80/20. 80% of the population spend the majority of their free time in front of TV, and unsurprisingly 80% of the population are not satisfied with their financial situation, health, looks, relationships, and so on. On the other hand 20% of the population own the 80% of wealth, technology, arts, and anything conceivable. You think that is an accident ?

Brian Tracy wrote in his magnificent book "The luck factor" that the first thing you see when you enter a rich family's house is a library, and the first thing you see when you enter a poor family's house is the largest darn TV they could afford.

Aigle said...

You're absolutely right! What aches me is that I've seen many people do not notice what TV is doing to their lives. TV programs have gone from bad to worse recently, at least that's what I believe. Most of the time it's about depression or depressed people, not studying them but kind of advertising this horrible disease. Or many times I've seen these so called educational programs giving false information specially when it comes to either biology or history!Not all of them of course but most of them. All in all I've realized that if I want to have a happy and prosperous life I should avoid watching this box of sounds and pictures. I'm glad you think so too :)